Music & Dance Concerts - What to Expect this June!
Dear Students and Parents,
Concert and Recital season is here and we’ll be on stage before you know it!
Assigned concert times will be posted on our website at http://www.laapa.com/current-students as soon as they become available!
What Should I Expect at the Spring Concerts/Recitals?
- Our programs begin on time! Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your assigned recital time.
- When you arrive, you’ll stop at the front table to present your tickets (student performers do not need a ticket). If you already ordered your tickets and elected to have us hold them for you, we will have them for you to pick up at the welcome table.
- Students should check in with a staff member at the front left corner of the stage.
- Students will be sitting up front together in the order of their performances to allow them quick access to the stage. After their performance they may sit with parents or simply return to their assigned seat. Please do not leave during the performance as we will be presenting awards at the end of the concert!
- Drummers - just bring your sticks! We will have a Yamaha acoustic drumset on stage.
- We will be providing a Fender guitar amp and GK Bass Amp for the stage as well as direct boxes for guitarists - ask your instructor which he/she recommends you use (usually this depends on whether or not you need any effects). You may bring your own amp if you’d prefer.
- Pianists will be performing on a grand piano similar in feel to the Academy’s grand pianos. If you’ve never played on a grand piano before and would like to try one out, you are welcome to schedule some time in one of our grand piano studios before or after our regular classes.
- Vocalists should decide whether or not they wish to hold the microphone or let it rest on a stand - most singers prefer to hold the microphone. (If you would rather the stand - just tell the stage assistant when it’s your turn to perform)! Please also watch Ms. Carolyn’s new video on mic technique and stage presence located at http://www.laapa.com/lessons-and-tutorials.
- Violinists should practice walking on and off stage in rest position. Ask your instructor to review rest position with you.
- All instrumentalists should ensure that a faculty member helps them to tune prior to performing. If you don’t see your teacher tuning your instrument, please ask one of the staff members for assistance.
- Dancers at the River Ridge School of Music & Dance will have a full dress rehearsal (see your Recital letter for times) on June 25 at Loyola before the main event. All dancers should arrive in full costume and makeup. Parents should plan on dropping students off at Roussel Hall during the rehearsal window as the rehearsal will be closed to parents/guests. The dance recital will begin promptly at 4:00 PM with doors opening by 3:30 PM.
- We will be holding 12 concerts this June! Due to the increased number of performances, our buffer times (times between recitals) are tighter than usual so please keep this in mind when planning to arrive. Arriving 15-20 minutes before your recital time is plenty!
- Wally Porter Photography will be available for individual and group portraits before and after each program. They will have all paperwork available the day of the concerts for you.
- Each recital is scheduled to last approximately 2 hours and students, parents, and guests are asked to remain in the auditorium for the full duration of the program.
- As we are recording all of our programs, we do ask parents/guests to keep small children in the audience quiet - please do feel free to take them to the foyer area when necessary.
- We will be live streaming our concerts at http://www.laapa.com/live. Mobile users will need the free facebook app installed for it to work. Please understand that our live streams are a best effort and we are subject to the quality of the connection at the venue.
- We will be recording each music performance with the latest professional video and audio equipment. If you’d like to reserve a copy of your performance, just let us know!
How are the Awards Earned/Determined?
Awards are presented to students based on participation in ensembles, original compositions, participation in LAAPAFEST, and years completed at LAAPA. Multi-instrumentalists will be recognized for each instrumental/vocal program shared with us at the concerts. Please understand that while students may have had prior experience with another instructor, his/her award will be based on time studying at LAAPA. Every student will receive an award and should be proud of his/her individual achievements.
We are so proud of all of you, and it is with great anticipation that we await the culmination of your many months of preparation. Our final tip for everyone is to please - SMILE and REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN UP THERE - that’s the most important thing! ~ Ryan Cullen, Director
Summer Music & Dance Camp
If you need something fun, new, and exciting to do this July, then consider Summer Music & Dance Camps at LAAPA! Our summer camps provide campers ages 5-16 with a choice of over 40 instrumental, vocal, and dance programs to discover and explore. Beginners, intermediate, and advanced students will have a blast!
For more information or to reserve your spot call today or visit http://www.laapa.com/camp.
Want to win the latest 128 GB iPad?
Would you like to win something new and cool? Do you love your music lessons or dance classes at LAAPA? Then tell everyone about your lessons at LAAPA!
Over the next few months -
If you refer a new student to the Academy and they enroll:
- You will receive a free lesson in any program.
- You will be automatically entered into our NEXT DRAWING for a NEW 128 GB iPad!
Please make sure that your friend mentions your FULL NAME at the time of enrollment. The more friends you refer that enroll - the more chances you have to win!
The winner will be announced at facebook.com/laapaface August 1, so stay tuned to see if you won!
* Immediate family members/members of the same household are not eligible for the referral program.
Thanks to everyone who continually refers the academy - it’s the highest compliment we can receive and truly appreciated!
River Ridge School of Music & Dance student, Isabella Solis, has been accepted into the Alliance Theatre Musical Theater Summer Camp at Oglethorpe University and the Collision Project performing at Martin Luther King Jr. Human Rights Center in Atlanta, GA. She takes piano lessons with Ms. Kathleen.
Mandeville School of Music student, Amelia Strickland, has progressed to reading music on the full grand staff in her piano lessons. She takes piano with Ms. Bethany.
Covington School of Music student, Christopher Tang, was selected as the pianist for the Simphonia at GNOYO. He takes piano lessons with Mrs. Carolyn.
Mandeville School of Music student, Kiana Azargoon, participated in the Spring Fling at Pontchartrain Elementary School. She takes voice lessons with Ms. Rebecca.
Covington School of Music student, Jamie Planchard, has been on TV several times recently acting and singing. On CBS she was invited to be part of a new Pilot show and on WVUE, she recently performed with her jazz combo. She takes voice lessons with Mrs. Carolyn.
We love getting your news, success stories and comments. If you'd like to share your news with us, please e-mail email@example.com. Please note that we are now publishing our newsletters monthly, and if you don't see your submission in this edition, it will be published as soon as space is available! Connect with us on Facebook at facebook.com/laapaface, youtube.com/laapatube, and now on Twitter at @laapatweets.
We'd like to wish the following Students, Faculty, and Staff a very Happy Birthday this Month!
(Students) Abby P. (12), Abigail R. (12), Alaina G. (9), Alex M. (17), Alexandra W. (8), Aly V. (6), Amelia K. (13), Amerie S. (9), Andrew T. (8), Anna Claire W. (12), Anna L. (9), Arsham A. (6), Aubrey D. (1), Brady L. (12), Cameron G. (14), Cary R. (7), Cecilia F. (17), Charlie H. (14), Chase K. (7), Chloe Bleu S. (8), Chris M., Christian S. (10), Christopher I., Corey P. (7), Daniella D. (10), Dave V. (6), David C. (9), Davis C. (11), Diana P. (16), Dominic G. (10), Elizabeth D., Elliot P. (16), Emma M. (15), Emma R. (15), Ethan S. (12), Gabriel L. (13), Gigi M., Hailey C. (8), Hollis B. (12), Isabella B. (12), Isabelle D. (14), Iyana F. (8), I’Miri J. (11), Jackson D. (3), Jasmine R. (10), Jonah S. (3), Joshua P. (12), Julia C. (7), Justin G. (8), Kamiya C. (9), Kennon R. (9), Kiana A. (6), Killian S. (5), Lattner M. (3), Lauren C. (11), Leland S. (6), Leyann N. (2), Lila M. (4), Louis K. (6), Louis M. (15), Lucy C. (7), Luke B. (12), Madi O. (8), Madison L. (15), Madison Z. (16), Mae K. (6), Marcus W. (11), Margaux K. (9), Maria N. (13), Matthew K. (10), McKayla F. (12), Megan M., Michael Austin V. (17), Mischa B. (10), Myles T. (8), Nynah H. (12), Oliver S. (8), Olivia W. (7), Patrick M. (5), Race H. (8), Rachel F. (9), Rishab P. (10), Roy R., Samantha J. (11), Sarah A. (11), Sarah S. (8), Sasha F. (14), Shea M. (14), Sidon C. (10), Sophia A. (6), Wesley H. (17), William O. (13), Zachary M. (13)
(Faculty) Wanda C., Jennifer W., Denise B., Carol L., Richard C., Daniel C., Zakkary G.
Lagniappe Lesson Video Series
Looking for some extra lessons every now and then? Maybe you just need a few "how to get started" lessons in various instruments?
Check out our brand new Lessons and Tutorials website which features a compilation of all of our video lessons over the past few years. You're bound to find something helpful and interesting! This month, we'd like to feature the video below from Mrs. Carolyn on "Microphone Technique."
Music & Dance Lessons for All Ages
Summer lessons, programs, and camps are starting NOW!
Make this the summer you learn to PLAY, DANCE, or SING!
We offer the Most Comprehensive Music & Dance Program in New Orleans with lessons in Piano, Guitar, Voice, Violin, Drums, Ballet, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Tap, Brass, Woodwind, Bands,
Preschool Music, & MORE all in one location.
Whether you’re brand new to music and dance or already experienced, we’ve provided tens of thousands of students with the tools, inspiration, and motivation necessary to achieve a lifetime love of music & dance for the past 39 years and would love to do the same for you.
It's Easy to Get Started - Give us a call today at the school campus nearest you! Covington (985) 590.4545, Mandeville (985) 674.2992, and River Ridge (504) 738.3050 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or save time and enroll online via the red button below!
Spring Music Concerts
See last month’s news for details.
Spring Music & Dance Concerts
See last month’s news for details.
You can now browse and purchase the beautiful Music and Dance artwork of local artist Michaela Howell in the LAAPA Store. Just goto http://store.laapa.com/art/
. She is currently offering 10% off, so be sure to take a look soon!
Local artist, Michaela Howell has graciously decorated our schools with her music and dance themed artwork (just one example of which is pictured right). All of these pieces may be purchased for your home or as a gift! Please inquire at the front desk.
With down home country humble beginnings Michaela has always been very resourceful. She cuts, sands, primes, paints, and in some cases stains her abstract versions of the wooden instruments, creating very hands-on works of art. This resourcefulness has “Played” out very nicely in her most current work. Though the recycling of varying musical instrument components including guitar strings, violin knobs, music sheets featuring the instrument showcased, Michaela portrays a ‘current’ sense of style combined with a very vivid color pallet, creating a symphony for the senses!
Students of the Month - Anna, Bryce, & Brady Loman
Covington School of Music students, Anna, Bryce, and Brady Loman take piano and guitar lessons here at LAAPA! We recently had a chance to speak with them and learn a little more about their lessons and interests!
You are all performing in the spring recital! What songs are you performing?
Anna: “Amazing Grace”
Bryce: “In Christ Alone”
Brady: “Country Minuet”
What do you like most about your teacher?
Anna: “Mrs. Bethany gives me prizes!”
Bryce: “Mr. Richard teaches me well.”
Brady: “Mr. Josh is good at explaining things.”
What are your summer plans?
Anna: “Swimming and play dates, and karate.”
Bryce: “Lots of swimming.”
Brady: “Karate for me.”
A HUGE welcome to our newest students who began lessons or added programs in May!
We are so happy that you’ve chosen to study at LAAPA.
We know you will do great things this year!
(thanks to Mia P.)
(thanks to Corey O.)
(thanks to Jeannette L.)
(thanks to Brooke W.)
(thanks to Shanda S.)
(thanks to Melissa T.)
(thanks to Jeannette L.)
“Annabelle LOVES the parent/tot class! She tries to copy everything Mrs. Mary does.”
~ Foret Family
“We are SO glad to be back! Miguel LOVES guitar with Mr. Ben. Whenever we ask him how the lessons are, he replies ‘TERRIFIC!’ I ask him what made it terrific, and he says, ‘It’s just Mr. Ben-he’s awesome and it’s so much fun playing our guitars together!’”
~ D’Elia Family